Hair grooming has been a part of the beauty regime for ages. People have been using drastic rituals to get smooth hairless skin. Thanks to technology we don’t have to go through any of those. Recently, I talked about at home IPL machines vs. professional laser hair reduction solutions and since then I have been doing a little experimentation and went on to try a home IPL machines.
I have been using the SmoothSkin Gold IPL device and currently am on my fourth session. Read on if you want to know my thoughts about the product.
There are a million techniques you can adopt for hair removal like laser, waxing, epilators and IPL is one of them. So far, I feel that using an at home IPL device is a cost effective and painless way for hair removal or hair reduction. There are a lot of IPL devices available in the market and I chose to go for SmoothSkin Gold due to the features it had. SmoothSkin Gold is a hand held device with an automatic skin tone selection feature which supports the skin tone from 1 -5. The speed time between the shots is 0.9 to 1.9 seconds and the device has a lamp life time of 200,000 and 300,000 flashes.
It is one of the most powerful devices currently available in the market. The key features of the product are that it has two modes, the glide mode and the stamp treatment mode. The glide mode is to cover small areas like the upper lip, chin or side locks, whereas, the stamp treatment mode is for covering large areas like the hands, legs or bikini line. The product is safe to use on the face and also has a gentle mode for those with sensitive skin. It is simple and effective and does not need any type of gel for hair removal.
How does SmoothSkin Gold work:
- The light energy transmitted through the device is absorbed by the melanin in the hair follicle disabling it and preventing and further growth.
- Treated hair falls out over the course of 1-2 weeks.
How to use SmoothSkin Gold:
- Prepare your skin by shaving any visible hair on the area you want to treat.
- Plug in the device in a power source and press the power button to start the device.
- The device is ready once the power light turns white.
- Place the device firmly on the area you want to treat.
- The power bars on the side indicate your skin tone and the device customizes appropriate settings.
- Press the activation button once you are ready.
Since the device has two treatment modes if you are using the glide mode:
- Keep the activation button pressed continuously and move or glide over the area you want to treat.
If you are using the stamp mode:
- Press and flash the activation button.
- Move on to the next area when done.
Usually the results are visible in about 3 sittings but it really depends on your skin and hair type and tone. Currently I am on my 4th session for some parts and can see visible difference. Each flash gives a warm sensation on your skin and is completely painless. For best results, the device and routine is recommended for 2-3 months.Tips for better results:
- Exfoliate your skin to have an effective treatment. Exfoliation helps remove dead skin and allows for better light absorption.
- Keep your skin hydrated and moisturize it daily.
- Use the correct treatment mode. For tricky or small areas like the underarm or the face use the stamp mode. For large areas like the legs use the glide mode. When using the glide mode ensure you use a steady pace to make sure you don’t miss any spots.
- The best part about using an at home IPL device is that you can control the settings. If you are not comfortable with the settings then use the Gentle Mode until you are ready. The gentle reduces the power output.
- Before using any IPL machine or treatment for hair removal make sure you do a patch test to see how your skin reacts to it.
- Keep the device in a pouch free from dirt and clean it regularly to get rid of any hair.
- The Reflector should be cleaned after every treatment with a lightly damp cloth. Make sure the part is dry before re-fitting it.
- Do not use water to clean the device.
- Use SPF cream after treatment since your skin is sensitive.
- Automatic skin detection technology which customizes the treatment for you.
- Cost effective method for permanent hair removal when compared to salon treatments.
- Easy to use, mess free and painless method for hair reduction.
- Dual Treatment mode: Stamp and glide mode.
- Gentle treatment mode for sensitive skin
- Safe to use on face
- No need for cartridges.
- Takes a bit longer and you have to do the hard work
- For best results the treatment is supposed to be carried out for 12 weeks or 3 months.
- The device is not safe for very dark skin.
- The device is not suitable for people with grey, white or red hair, as these hair types don’t have much pigment in the hair follicle to absorb the light, so it doesn’t work as well
- Results vary based on skin and hair type.
Overall Rating: 4/5
Price: £299.00 for 200,000 flashes.
I would recommend SmoothSkin Gold if you are looking for a cost effective at home IPL Machine for permanent hair removal. But before using any hair removal or reduction technique make sure you consult a doctor if you are taking any medications and do a patch test. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
Have you tried any IPL machines at home? If so then, let me know your reviews in the comments section below.