Everyone loves to have a soft, shiny and silky mane, but then with our lifestyles and the environment around it makes it into a distant dream. With rising pollution levels and unhealthy lifestyle and stress, our hair takes the maximum toll. Also, we fall prey to flashy advertisements of shampoos and conditioners that promise to give us long and glossy hair but alas. These shampoos and conditioners are full of harmful chemicals which might give temporary relief but in the long run, can cause major damage to the hair and scalp health. High sulphate levels in these chemically treated shampoos not only strip off the protein layer of hair but also make them coarse and dry. Many times these shampoos aggravate frizz and dryness in the hair which ultimately leads to weakening of the roots, breakage and hair fall. Chemical-based shampoos are also filled with harmful carcinogens like cocamide and lauramide, which may cause irritation in the eye and skin. Many studies have proved that continued use of these can even lead to threatening diseases like cancer and skin infections like eczema, psoriasis etc.
Prolonged use of shampoos and other hair products can cause dryness of the scalp and strip hair of its natural oils and moisture. This leads to permanent breakage and hair loss. They also cause split ends, itchiness and dandruff. So much for keeping our hair shiny and looking ramp ready on the outside! Learn more about tips for dry and damaged hair.
Causes of hair fall:
- Poor hair health
- Excessive use of chemicals
- Skin infection
- Illness or underlying medical condition
- Lack of hair care
- Excessive washing of hair
- Excessive use of hair products/tools, colour etc.
- Poor diet
- Oily or dry scalp
- Under-conditioning of scalp
Thus, it is important that we must use as much natural and organic products because not only are they healthy for hair but also prolong their life without any side-effects. There are many simple ways to make best herbal shampoos for hair fall at home using easily available ingredients right from your kitchen cabinet. It will not only boost hair health but also provide the scalp with all the moisture and conditioning required for your hair to strong, thick and shiny.
How to tackle hair fall with homemade shampoos
Hair fall is one problem every man or a woman suffers from. Not only it leads to baldness which is irreversible but also reduces confidence. Here is a list of various homemade herbal shampoos for hair fall that one can churn out and use without any fear of hair damage.
COCONUT MILK & EGG SHAMPOO
Coconut and egg combined together make one of the best herbal shampoo for hair fall. Coconut is known to promote hair growth and make them thick. Coconut milk also strengthens the hair root and brings natural shine to hair. Being rich in vitamin E and fats, it also moisturizes the hair and helps in overcoming hair loss. Egg is also known to bring natural shine and prevent split ends.
- 2 tablespoons fresh coconut milk
- 1 egg
- In a bowl combine two tablespoons fresh coconut milk and one beaten egg and make a slurry
- Apply it on the hair carefully starting from roots to the tips and leave it on for an hour
- Thereafter, wash with cold water
- Repeat the process weekly for desired effects
ALOE VERA & LEMON SHAMPOO
Aloe vera is known as a magic ingredient for both hair and skin. It not only moisturizes the scalp but also helps in balancing the pH levels, thereby promoting hair growth. Lemon, known for its acidic properties fights dandruff and keeps the scalp clean and infection free. When combined together, aloe vera and lemon make the best herbal shampoo for hair loss and dandruff.
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine both the ingredients and make a thick to runny consistency paste
- Wet your hair and gently apply the mixture to the roots and slowly reaching to the tip
- Tie your hair into a pony and cover with a cloth and keep it on for 30-35 minutes
- Thereafter, wash the hair with cold water and repeat the process twice a week for desired results
NEEM & AMLA SHAMPOO
Neem leaves are known to be antiseptic and enriched with anti-bacterial properties that help in resolving the problem of hair fall and dandruff. It is also known to promote hair growth, stimulate blood flow in th scalp and get rid of lice. Amla or Indian gooseberry, on the other hand, nourishes the hair and provide them with natural shine and thickness. It is rich in vitamin C and hence strengthens the root, preventing hair fall and build collagen. It also prevents premature hair graying.
- 10-12 leaves of neem
- Pulp of 2 amla or gooseberry
- In a vessel boil 10-12 neem leaves for 5-10 minutes
- Once the leaves have boiled and become squishy, add the puree of amla to it and mix well
- Now, apply this mixture on wet hair and keep it on for 45-50 minutes
- Wash with cold water and repeat the process at least twice a week to get rid of hair fall and other scalp related problems over a period of time
YOGURT & HONEY SHAMPOO
Now what problem can the perfect combination of yogurt and honey not solve? Yogurt is a natural conditioner and contains vitamin B5 and proteins that strengthen hair roots. It helps clean the scalp and remove dead cells from the surface. Honey has anti-bacterial properties and moisturizes the hair roots. Thus, stimulating growth of strong and moisturized hair. Trust us when we say, this is the best mild shampoo for hair loss and other scalp and hair related conditions.
- 1 tablespoon fresh yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a bowl mix one tablespoon fresh yogurt and a teaspoon of honey and make a paste
- Wet the hair and apply the mixture
- Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and wash off with cold water
- Apply it weekly to naturally condition hair
FENUGREEK, YOGURT & HONEY SHAMPOO
One of the major causes of hair fall is dandruff. If you are experiencing too much hair fall, try to tackle the underlying problem of dandruff with the help of this amazing homemade shampoo. Fenugreek is known to restore damaged hair roots and follicles. Yogurt and honey condition hair by moisturizing the scalp. Thereby, giving you healthy and strong hair.
- 1/2 cup fenugreek seeds soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh yogurt
- Soak fenugreek seeds in 1 cup water overnight
- In a mixer, grind overnight soaked fenugreek seeds into a paste
- To the paste add one tablespoon honey and the same amount of fresh yogurt
- Apply the paste on wet hair and keep it on for 30-45 minutes
- Wash with cold water and repeat this best herbal shampoo for hair loss and dandruff, at least once a week.
ONION & ROSEWATER SHAMPOO
Onion is known for its anti-bacterial properties and helps overcome scalp infections. Thus, the hair roots are strengthened and hair fall eventually stops. Onion also improves blood circulation which is good for hair health. Rose water hydrates the scalp and makes it soft and supple to stimulate the growth of soft and beautiful hair.
- Juice of an onion
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- In a bowl, grate a medium sized onion and squeeze its juice
- Add a tablespoon of rose water and apply the mixture on wet scalp
- Keep it on for 30-35 minutes and wrap a towel around the head
- Wash it off with cold water and repeat this homemade shampoo for hair loss weekly for desired results
Besides all these remedies, maintaining a good and regular hair care regime can go a long way in giving you beautiful hair. Massaging them with hair oil on a regular basis and washing them not more than 3 times a week will help retain the natural moisture and texture of the hair, without doing any major damage to the scalp. If making these homemade remedies sound too much of work for you, you can always wash your hair with herbal or natural shampoos, like the new improved range of Vatika Anti-Dandruff Shampoo that is enriched with the goodness of 7 hair-friendly ingredients like lemon, meethi, henna & almond among others that give you dandruff free, strong and beautiful hair.
Need more inputs on how to make your own homemade shampoos? Keep following our blog.