If there has been one major change to my makeup and beauty routine this year, it has been the addition of false lashes to my must-have items. Once I had tried them and experienced the magic first-hand, I was sold for life. Having said that, false lashes can be really tricky to apply, especially if you are a newbie or if you have an unsteady hand. Over the course of the year, I have experimented with many hacks and tricks to find the perfect way to apply falsies. Ladies, I present to you: 5 tips for applying false eyelashes like a pro!
1. There are so many different styles of false eyelashes available in the market that choosing the right pair can be really difficult! As a rule of thumb, if you want a cute, baby doll look, opt for eyelashes that are longer in the middle. If you want a sultry and sexy look, choose falsies that are longer towards the outer end of your eye.
2. Cut the eyelash strips into halves or thirds for easier and effective application. Before you apply them to your lids, wrap the lash around a thin makeup brush for some extra curl. When you are applying the individual pieces of the eyelash strip, make sure that the glue is very sticky before you pop them on. Waiting for the glue to get the right amount of sticky is absolutely critical!
3. For a more natural look, try individual lashes instead of strips. While they might take a tiny bit longer to apply, they are actually easier to apply than the strips and you can customize your look to suit the occasion. You can use a few individual lashes for a subtle look or build up the drama on the outer edge of your lid by using more. I would recommend using tweezers to apply these babies.
4. An oily base makes it really hard for the eyelash glue to work, so blot off any extra oil on your lids before you start to apply your lashes. If you plan on reusing your lashes, the last thing you want to do is remove your eye makeup with an oil-based remover – no, no, no!
5. Find the right position to apply your falsies. Like most ladies, I started by trying to apply eyelashes in front of my bathroom mirror, which was just a no-go. Through much practice, I realise that the best way to get the perfect application is lay a mirror on a flat surface (like a table) and plant your elbows on either side of it. Then, you can look down into the mirror and you will see exactly where you need to apply your falsies. Trust me!
Above all, have fun with false lashes and play around with different styles until you find what works for you. If you find them too bothersome to where everyday, you could even consider getting eyelash extensions. I just got mine and I am absolutely in love with them!