This post is inspired by my recent visit to a skin salon (Spa Beauty Coventry), where I pampered myself with a session of Microdermabrasion (MDA), followed by an LED Facial. Unless you are aware of what exactly an microdermaberasion or LED facial is, you might wonder about how these serious-sounding procedures could qualify as “pampering”. Well, you can read on and find out what these skin treatments are all about – maybe soon, you’ll also be lavishing your skin with MDAs and LEDs as well!
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a method of superficial exfoliation that helps remove dead and damaged cells from the surface of the skin. Far more intensive a skin therapy than your over-the-counter exfoliation products, Microdermaberasion are performed using a small cleaning tool, that has vacuum-cleaner-like suction power. The cleaning tool is used to vacuum fine crystals across the skin, often with other therapeutic agents being infused alongside as well. Based on the kind of effect you are hoping to achieve, you can either go in for a basic microdermaberasion to treat worn out skin or get more advanced microdermaberasion for moisturization or acne-control purposes.
What are the skin benefits of Microdermaberasion?
MDAs are usually recommended to be performed 4 – 5 times in a period of 2 – 4 weeks, depending upon one’s skin quality. However, you may go in for single sessions at your own convenience as well. Based on how frequently you go in for an microdermaberasion, you can expect to incur these skin benefits over a period of time:
- Smoother skin which feels supple and refreshed.
- Cleansing and unclogging of facial pores.
- Instantaneous glow on the treated areas.
Generally, even with just one session, there is visible improvement in one’s skin texture and quality.
Some Things to Keep in Mind
Forewarned is forearmed, ladies! Here are some things you need to know before you drop in for an MDA.
- A microdermaberasion cannot remove deeper wrinkles, lines or excessive sun damage.
- It can cause skin inflammation and irritation, but only if the microdermaberasion is too aggressive on sensitive skin.
- While it is being performed, you’ll feel a slight sensation of your skin being tugged or pulled (due to the suction) – that is normal, as long as you are not heavily discomforted by it.
- Sometimes, microdermaberasions are paired with LED facials for achieving better results, and specifically, a clearer complexion.
Thus, we move on to LED facials and what they can do for you.
What is an LED Facial?
An LED facial is a procedure which uses laser-based photorejuvenation to improve skin in varied ways. It helps with acne, fine lines, pigmentation, sun damage and scarring, making it an ideal therapy for just about anyone. During an LED facial, one’s face is exposed to different coloured laser lights, each having a different therapeutic effect on the skin. The skin technician will determine the duration of exposure to each light, based on a prior inspection of your skin and the effect you are looking to achieve. A high frequency tool is then used to remove bacteria, usually followed by the application of a soothing mask on the skin.
What are the Skin Benefits of LED Facials?
Depending upon the nature and severity of skin damage, LED facials are recommended with a frequency of 4 – 8 sessions in a period of 4 – 8 weeks. However, most people claim of having seen the following positive results with the very first session
- Diminished fine lines and lighter age spots.
- More glowing and supple skin, that feels fresh and hydrated.
- Lightened scars and acne marks.
Advanced LED facials may have more targeted effects on the skin, so you may go in for a specialized facial to treat a particular skin condition.
Some Things to Keep in Mind
Before going in for an LED facial, make sure you got your facts right and expectations in check. Here are some things you should know:
- There are extremely few recorded instances of adverse skin reaction to LED facial treatment.
- During the procedure, targeted skin begins to feel warm – this is normal.
- Some types of skin are more sensitive and the procedure may cause mild discomfort when going on; very mild stinging is not something to worry about.
Well, these are facts, but what about personal experiences, you ask? I can give you some details on how I feel about microdermaberasion and LED facials.
I went in for a microdermaberasion, followed by an LED facial because I have just returned from a vacation and my skin needed it. Tan removal and skin brightening were my main concerns and I was positive that an microdermaberasion was the way to go; I have got this done in the past and it removed tanning effectively with minimal downtime. It had produced dry patches on my skin once, but with adequate moisturization, it is no problem at all! My skin felt clean and healthy after the microdermaberasion and the LED facial only added to the glow. In fact, even several days after getting it done, I can see the effects – my skin is brighter and glowing, which makes me very happy! I have added some pictures to show what the whole process is like. Hope you are now well-informed about these wonderful skin treatments.
If you have any questions about the procedure feel free to ask, I will be happy to answer them from my personal experience