I am a firm believer in living life with no rules, and the same philosophy holds true when it comes to fashion as well. I do believe, however, that when it comes to style, there are certain guiding principles that every lady should keep in mind. Do not think of the Ten Commandments that follow as hard rules, but rather as lights that will guide you in finding your own sense of style.
1. Invest more money and time in finding timeless pieces that will last you through seasons and years – crisp white shirts, tailored blazers and diamond earrings.
2. Focus on fit over fashion trends. Even the most stylish garment will look shabby if it does not fit properly on your body – trust me.
3. Always accessorize to complete your outfit. You do not need to dress up like a Christmas tree, but never leave the house without one accessory that will take your look to the next level.
4. Break the rules – wear black with brown, layer silver necklaces with gold ones, choose horizontal stripes over vertical lines – and have fun with it!
5. When you are planning your ensemble, think of your look from head to toe and style it with the whole picture in mind.
6. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, do not wear it. Fashion is all about feeling good in your own skin, so stay away from pieces and trends that do the opposite.
7. Always have a go-to look for those days when you wake up late or are simply feeling uninspired. Mine is a pair of boyfriend jeans with an oversized white shirt.
8. Think about proportions when you are planning your outfits. Balance is key.
9. Always dress for the occasion. There is no bigger faux pas than sporting distressed jeans to a formal event. Think about it and dress accordingly, ladies.
10. Be yourself, always and forever!