Now that I’m pretty well settled in the lockdown routine and know that it’s going to be a long time ahead, I’ve decided to unlock my culinary talent. And the last thing I want to indulge in is the unhealthy goodies that sound so tempting. Rather my agenda for this period is to eat healthy and feel energetic, that too while relishing the recipes I create. And the fact that I have two fussy eaters at home makes the challenge even bigger. Still, I love cooking for the family and discovering recipes that are delicious and healthy at the same time.Jump to Recipe
My favourite that I’d want to share with health buffs is the super-healthy, awesome Green Smoothie recipe that I mixed up by chance. But believe me, it is my choice now as I shake it up every other day. Vegan and made with lots of healthy ingredients, this amazing shake is just right for breakfast and keeps my energy levels up to match the challenges of work from home, even while I juggle with loads of housework and an energetic 6-year old!
The best thing about my Green Smoothie is that it has ingredients that are all easily available at home. And if you don’t have one of them, you can find an easy alternative in your refrigerator or kitchen cabinet. So here is a list of the ingredients I use to shake up a jugful for my family.
Immunity-Boosting Green Smoothie
- 1 Cup Chopped Kale
- 1 Cup Spinach Leaves
- 1 inch cube Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Flax Seeds
- 7 pieces Almonds
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 Banana
- 125 ml Coconut Milk
- Once you have all the ingredients onyour shelf, it’s time to get started. Here is a list of instructions to createthe most yummilicious, gorgeous-looking Green Smoothie in just three steps anda couple of minutes.
- Put all the ingredients in a blenderand blend them till smooth; make sure that there are no chunks of the leafygreens or fruits.
- Once you mix up the perfect smoothie, taste it and perfect it. Ensurethat it has just the right consistency and temperature. If you want your kid totry it, I’d suggest adding some honey for the healthy sweet kick. You can evenadd a dash of lemon to balance the bitterness of the greens. My secretingredient is ginger because I love the zing it brings to the drink. Even mylittle one loves it!
- After perfecting the flavours, justgive it a final whisk in the blender to get that amazing smooth consistency andvibrant green colour. You can refrigerate the drink for up to 24 hours, thoughI prefer blending a fresh batch every time. If you do want to use arefrigerated batch, be sure to shake it up before drinking.
- Kale–High in antioxidants and vitamin C, detoxifies naturally, lowers cholesterol levels
- Spinach- Loaded with folic acid, carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and calcium, cleanses your skin inside out
- Ginger–Improves digestion, protects from cold and flu, reduces inflammation naturally
- Flax seeds – Rich in fiber, omega-3 fats and high quality proteins, give instant energy boost
- Almonds-Contain fiber, healthy fats, protein, magnesium and vitamin E, reduce hunger and promote weight control
- Honey – Healthiest alternative to sugar, rich in antioxidants
- Banana-Nutritious, filling and hefty source of energy, minus unhealthy fats and cholesterol
- Coconut milk- High in antioxidants, strengthens immunity and aids weight loss