Though it is not raining as much as I would have liked it too, the monsoon is well upon us here in Mumbai. The rainy season is breathtakingly beautiful but it can often be gloomy, resulting in dull moods and bleak days. Ladies, do not fear! The next time you are feeling blue or simply not as happy as you would like to be, this list will help you brighten up your day.
01. Light some candles! Nothing can turn your mood around like a fresh scent. This monsoon, I am constantly lighting my favourite peppermint candle.
02. Treat yourself to a bubble bath with your favourite bath bomb and finish the ritual off with your favourite body butter.
03. Wear something sparkly for an instant boost of happiness. I always reach for glittery pink sunglasses to add some quirky fun on dull rainy days.
04. Spray on your favourite summer perfume for an instant mood makeover!
05. Make the most of the weather and dance in the rain.
06. Start planning your holiday for the next summer.
07. Wear your favourite floral-printed garment, which will make you feel like you have wrapped yourself in spring. I love brightening up gloomy days by sporting my favourite spring and summer pieces.
08. If the rain is really heavy and you are stuck indoors, redecorate your room! Even if the change is as small as adding a new photo frame to your wall, it will make your room feel like a whole new space.
09. Forget boring black umbrellas and invest in a cute one that will infuse a little bit of fun into your monsoon wardrobe. My current one is covered with adorable unicorns.
10. Wear yellow. I don’t know about you ladies, but for me, I instantly think of the summer when I’m wearing this bright, happy colour.
11. Invest in a pair of quirky gumboots that match perfectly with your own sense of style. Monsoon fashion does not and certainly should not be boring!
12. Get hands-on and start working on that DIY project you have been meaning to work on for the last year. Making something is a great way to lighten up your mood.
13. Another one for those who are unable to leave their house due to the heavy rain – download a season or two of your favourite television show and have a marathon, complete with popcorn and fizzy drinks. You do not even have to change out of your pyjamas for this one!
14. Bake some brownies and indulge your sweet tooth.
15. Buy some flowers for your dining table to brighten up your living space – you score bonus points if the flowers are yellow!
16. Go for a high-power run in the rain. The energizing endorphins that your body will produce, coupled with the cool raindrops, will leave you feel refreshed.
17. Call your favourite girlfriend over and give yourselves an at-home pedicure with a bright, cheerful colour like hot pink.
18. Log onto YouTube, put on your favourite music video and teach yourself the choreography. You go, girl!
19. Create a very special cup of hot chocolate and make it as delicious as you can by adding exotic fruits, crunchy nuts, whipped cream and whatever else you can think of!
20. Dress up in some small way before you head out of the house, even if it is only a swipe of red lipstick. I guarantee that it will instantly up your mood!