When you wake up in the morning, the way you slept the night before is reflected on your face. A good, unbroken snooze would lead to fresh, supple skin, whereas inadequate or disturbed sleep would result in a puffy, dull face.
While you cannot undo or fix the way your sleep pattern has affected your skin once you’re up, there are ways in which you can fortify it for the rest of your day. It is an established fact that your morning skin care routine has a vital impact on your overall skin quality. What’s more is that just as the previous night’s nap determines your morning look, AM-skin-habits affect how your skin looks and feels for the rest of the day.
Experts recommend making small additions to your morning skin regime which will definitely improve its appearance in the long run. Here are five measures you can take to have your face glowing and radiant every day.
- Hydrate – After sleeping for several hours, your body is dehydrated which naturally impacts the skin. So, the moment you wake up, rehydrate it with a glass or two or warm water. This will slowly flush your body of toxins and add a healthy glimmer to the skin. You could also squeeze in some lemon, which being Vitamin-C rich, helps boosts collagen production.
- Mist your face – Store some mineral water in a spray bottle overnight. Gently spray its contents on your face as soon as you wake up, before you get on to other things. The chilled mist will reduce puffiness, wake you up and remove signs of fatigue and dullness.
- Have some green tea – Green tea contains flavenoids which are powerful antioxidants – they help minimize cell damage, slowing the ageing process. So have a cup of green tea early in the morning for long term gains. If you prefer some other morning caffeine fix such as coffee or tea, just fit in some room for a small cup of green tea before or after that.
- Eat a protein-rich breakfast – Proteins help in producing collagen which is a protein that prevents skin from wrinkling and sagging – something that one should start worrying about from their 20ies onward. Thus, eat a high-protein breakfast of eggs, nuts, milk, sprouts, yoghurt and so on – your skin will look tight, bright and beautiful at all times.
- Use an anti-oxidant serum – Before you put on any other beauty product, use an antioxidant serum (after washing your face and using toner, of course). Antioxidant serums protect your skin against the sun, pollution, ageing, dehydration and even the ill-effects of poor eating habits. Follow up with your sunscreen or SPF-loaded makeup as usual.
If you improve your morning skin care routine with these additions; you will certainly witness a change in your skin in a couple of weeks. The best part is that such habits will not only make your skin look more lush and nourished every day, but improve its quality intrinsically, so you can feel the benefits for years and years to come!