Every lady dreams of having flawless skin – think Lucy Liu, who looks as beautiful at 46 as she did in her heyday, or Nicole Kidman who knows that protecting her fair skin from the sun can go a long way. In contrast to what many believe, flawless skin is not always hereditary. Your personal skincare routine, dietary habits and overall lifestyle have a huge impact on your skin. Give your skin the TLC it needs and watch it evolve from dull to delightful. After all, great skin is always in.
- Drink at least two liters of water everyday without fail. Whilst water has many health benefits, it works especially well to rid your skin of impurities, prevent wrinkles as you grow older and instil a healthy glow. To supplement your intake of this magic potion, embellish your diet with water-rich fruits like strawberries, grapefruit, watermelon, peaches and cantaloupe.
- Prolonged exposure to the harmful rays of the sun can do a whole lot of damage to your delicate skin. As far as possible, try to avoid basking in the sunlight for long periods of time. Ensure that you never step out of the house without applying sunscreen to your face, neck and lips, even in the winter. Your skin will thank you in the years to come.
- When you come home after a tiring day of work or a long night of partying, the only thing you want to do is grab some shuteye. As tempting as it may be to hit the pillows straight away, you must take out five minutes to remove your makeup before you go to bed. By ridding your skin of the impurities and chemicals that are present in makeup, the ritual of removing makeup will reduce the chance of breakouts and let your skin breathe. Start now.
- Take it easy! Stress is one of the biggest culprits of blemished skin. To achieve a flawless façade, you have to bid adieu to the sources of stress in your life. If you are unsure about where to start, try your hand at early morning yoga or indulge in a leisurely bubble bath with your favorite bath salts. Alongside your mission to reduce anxiety, you must also make it a point to get enough sleep – we recommend 7 to 8 hours every night. Beauty sleep is essential!
- Pay attention to your skincare routine. Cleanse your face with a gentle foaming wash every morning and then tone it before you begin to apply your makeup. Remember, there is no such thing as too much hydration when it comes to looking after your skin! Pat on some moisturizer in the morning before you apply your makeup and again at night after you have removed it. Ensure that you choose a product based on your skin type – get in touch with an expert before purchasing. Many skincare fanatics invest in a hydrating mist to keep their skin feeling supple all day long. Finally, remember to exfoliate twice a week to rid your face of dead skin and you are good to go!