Hair growth in unwanted places has been a problem faced by both men and women. To address the same issue there are many safe and effective methods for hair removal including shaving, waxing, epilating, laser, electrolysis and so on. Each method of hair removal has its own pros and cons. For example, electrolysis is a permanent hair removal method but is painful and time consuming. Professional laser treatments and at home IPL machines is an alternative treatment which helps in hair reduction.
So today I am going to be focusing on 2 modern hair removal methods i.e. Professional laser treatments vs. At home IPL machines.
At Home IPL Machines
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. In the past few years it has become one of the most popular techniques for removing body hair. One of the major reasons it is so widely accepted is that it is faster and more affordable than other methods. IPL hair removal treatment uses light which destroys the hair follicle after which the melanin is broken down. This helps achieve permanent hair reduction, i.e. one can expect some amount of re-growth. Due to the popularity of the treatment even home use systems are available, which are a lot smaller and are designed specifically for hair removal. They are widely available in shops at a number of large pharmacies, as well as online.
- Affordable: Buying the at home IPL machine is way cheaper than getting a laser treatment and is usually a onetime investment. However, depending on the type of machine you may have to invest in replacement of certain parts like bulbs.
- Convenient: You can go at your own pace, whenever you want and wherever you want.
- Flexibility: As soon as your hair starts growing back, you can treat them straight away instead of having to wait for your appointment at a salon. Many devices also offer flexibility in terms of different features.
- Privacy: If you are someone who is conscious about your body then using a at home IPL machine is perfect for you.
- You regulate the pain: if your device has flexibility in terms of how strong do you want the light to be then you can adjust it as per the results you want. The weaker settings will be less effective at removing hair, but it’s ideal for people have a low pain threshold. You can switch the light settings to a stronger setting at any point if you feel ready.
- Cost of replacement parts: Some at home IPL machines come with bulbs which need to be replaced frequently. These replacements parts are expensive.
- Skin Type – Most suitable for people with light skin and dark hair. IPL treatment takes a longer on dark skin to work as the melanin in the skin absorbs some of the light and making it less effective.
- Usage: Some body parts that you may want to treat may be difficult to reach. Thus you may need someone else to help even with a home IPL machine.
- To achieve the desired result one needs to do a number of regular sessions.
- Time consuming: Procedure needs to be repeated as hair growth is uneven and one may be slower when performing the treatment on you.
- Lack of professional assistance: A professional or expert at IPL will be able to give better results, give advice and take care of any problems which may occur.
- Side effects like itching, swelling or burns may occur. Hence it is always advisable to go for a patch test before.
Laser treatment for hair removal is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the world. What happens in a laser treatment? Highly concentrated light is beamed into hair follicles to achieve hair reduction. Pigment in the hair follicles absorbs the light which destroys the hair. Lasers can be used for removing unwanted hair from the face, arm, leg, underarm, back, bikini line, and other parts.
- Larger areas can be covered quickly and getting professional laser is an efficient method for hair reduction.
- It is generally safer than at home IPL machines since the treatment is carried out by qualified professional
- Suitable for all skin types
- For permanent hair removal electrolysis is a better option, but professional laser treatment can achieve permanent hair reduction.
- When compared to waxing or any other hair removal technique, professional laser requires less number of treatments.
- Professional laser is more expensive than at home IPL machine and one needs to be ready for a big financial commitment.
- Since hair growth it uneven, one need to go for multiple sittings and one needs to make prior appointments for the same.
- Usually laser hurts somewhere between an elastic sting and a moderate burn, but it really depends on ones pain threshold. But since it is higher intensity, it can be more painful.
- Does not work on blonde or grey hair as they laser cannot sense pigment in hair follicle.
- Side effects like itching, swelling, discoloration or burns may occur. Hence it is always advisable to go for a patch test before.
Both salon laser hair removal and at home IPL machines can achieve hair reduction and each has its own merits and demerits. It is ultimately your choice by weighing the pros and cons of both the options. Salon treatment would be safer, quicker and long lasting, whereas, at home treatments would be cheaper, convenient and provide more flexibility.
[…] skin. Thanks to technology we don’t have to go through any of those. Recently, I talked about at home IPL machines vs. professional laser hair reduction solutions and since then I have been doing a little experimentation and went on to try a home IPL machines. […]