We women love our bags. And being highly attached to those little leathery delights that carry all your essentials is perfectly normal. Or so I tell myself. Being an ardent bagaholic, I have a huge collection with numerous pieces of each type. And as trends change every season, I add a few more to my closet in keeping with f-world’s reigning favourites. So which bags am I favouring this reason?
Read on to find out about the different types of bags in trend in 2016.
1. Crossbody – Crossbody bags are a staple item that every diva’s wardrobe should have. They are roomy, can hold all your knick-knacks and are very convenient to carry. Simple sling such a bag across your body from one shoulder to the opposite hip and you’ll look sharp and chic. Crossbody bags look best with casual and semi-formal outfits, though some experimental fashionistas may even be seen carrying (a neutral-hued) one to office.
Best Wear – A day out with the girls or on vacation during a sightseeing session.
2. Satchel – Typical satchel bags have a boxy form and lock-in clasps to keep your stuff safe. They have ample space and may even fit in small gadgets like an iPad or tablet. Great for office-wear, tan and brown leather satchels are a classic formal bag that is spotted on a lot of corporate women. In recent times, smaller satchels in pastel colours have become very popular, thus taking them away from the exclusive role of office accessories; such satchels can be carried with a lot of casual outfits.
Best Wear – On a hectic office day when you need all your essentials close at hand.
3. Weekender Bag – Like the name suggests, weekender bags are structured to service you on a weekend away from home. Usually quite large sized, such bags tend to be huger in width than height, often in an oblong or cylindrical shape. These bags may fit in all the usual stuff from your handbag, a small makeup kit, a water bottle, small gadgets and perhaps an extra set of clothes even. Such bags are a great option for when you have to fit in your fashion survival kit into just one handbag.
Best Wear – As your hand baggage on a flight or an impromptu weekend trip.
4. Beach Bag – Ah, beach bags got you thinking of beautiful blue seas and comfy loungers? Me too! And every time you’re at a beachy location, you should surely have a beach bag with you. Most beach bags are mid-sized rectangular carryalls, made of materials like canvas or blended plastic. Recent fashion trends have catapulted transparent “jelly beach bags” to the top of the charts. These are great for you don’t have to worry about your bag getting ruined by sand and water on the beach.
Best Wear – On a beach vacation with a matching hat or bikini.
5. Clutch – Want to look effortlessly sophisticated? Grab your favourite clutch and well, you’re already half there! Clutches are compact handheld bags that are perfect for occasions when you don’t want to be bothered with something bulky. Though most clutches come with a removable strap, they mostly go unused for the style lies in holding them in a delicate grip. Get yourself a fancy embellished clutch as a fashion quick-fix – those go well with both western and ethnic outfits.
Best Wear – A glam party or wedding event when you’ve got to keep your phone and lipstick handy.
6. Laptop Bags – There’s no mystery as to what these are or what they do – they’re meant to carry your precious lappy! But many of us choose to carry the leather laptop bags that come with the purchase itself. Don’t go down that route, ladies! Instead, explore the various options available in laptop bags too. From printed bags and quilted ones to classic leather pieces, you can go for whatever suits your style/mood. Why should your laptop bag ever be boring?
Best Wear – When you’re working off-site or meeting a client outside the office.
7. Hobo Bag – One of the most versatile bags according to me is the trusty old hobo. Hobos are crescent shaped shoulder bags that are medium to large in size. They have a causal, slouchy appeal that gives an effortlessly chic look to any attire. You can go in for bright and bold hobo bags to jazz up plain outfits or stick to neutrals for using on a daily basis. And the best part is, you can throw in everything you need to get through the day in these – the numerous pockets and zippers are so handy!
Best Wear – A casual day outing to the mall or movies.
8. Tote Bag – Totes are the busy woman’s best friend. They are fuss-free, spacious and stylish in their own way. They have two handles, which allow for free holding as well as carrying on the shoulders. A lot of women are spotted with these when they’re out shopping. You can put in all your small purchases and have fewer packages to carry. But don’t mistake totes to be dowdy bags that are best suited for days you’re engaged in matronly chores – style them well, and they can look oh-so-trendy.
Best Wear – When you’re travelling or are planning to spend your entire day out.
9. Baguette Bag – Baguettes are those bags which are rectangular in shape, with the width being significantly greater than the height. They come in a variety of materials, styles and detailing. You can team them up with practically any outfit. Just keep in mind that they aren’t too roomy, so only your wallet and a few other knick knacks may fit in. These are great for days when you are lazy and don’t want to lug around a big bag.
Best Wear – An evening out with friends or on a romantic dinner/date.
10. Wristlet – Wristlets are clutches with a small strap for your wrist. They allow you to have your lands free while keeping all your go-to essentials close-by. Since these tend to be small and pouch-like, they are best reserved for occasions when you won’t be needing too much other than your wallet, some lipstick and just another thing or two.
Best Wear – A party where you expect to dance the night away!