Sometimes the most important thing in the whole day is just to pause and breathe in the moment. Every now and then it’s important to give yourself a break, slow down a bit, relax and unwind. We are always pre-occupied with our lives and juggling too many things like work, household chores, having a social life and so much so that, we just forget to hit the pause button. I know I am always on my toes running from pillar to pole juggling between my job, blog, studies and family. We even get stressed about festivals. The amount of cleaning, cooking or shopping you need to do sometimes just stresses you out.
Hence I have decided to take a break this Christmas, and do all the things that I enjoy. Celebrate the festivities with the small things that make me happy and give me satisfaction.
One of the things that come to everyone’s mind when we talk about unwinding is a spa weekend. But let’s get real, we don’t always have the time or money to do so and same goes for vacations.
So here are a few ideas for you to enjoy your holidays without breaking your bank:
- Go out for a coffee or hot chocolate: Winters are all about warm snugly drinks, and cafes are nicely decorated and Christmasy during this time of the year. An even better idea is to go café crawl – try out all the cafes near your area to see which one serves the best coffee or hot chocolate. Then go crazy on the sugar high.
- Read a book: Remember the book you have been meaning to read since your last resolution. It’s time to grab a copy get cozy under the blanket or by the fire in your bedroom or mix up the café crawl with a book reading.
- Get a digital detox: spend the time with your friends and family and turn off the internet and all your gadgets for a few day. Ok, let’s get realistic here at least a few hours and just relax.
- Detox your body: After a digital detox it makes sense to follow a detox plan as well between Christmas and New Year. It’s the thing our body needs after all those bubblies and candies this year.
- Exercise: After all the merriment you’ve had this Christmas, get your body back on track by hitting the gym or going for a run. Getting your sweat on helps increase your endorphins, blood circulation, improves your mood and makes you more relaxed.
- Walking: If you aren’t a fan for some hardcore exercise then just go for a walk, alone, with a dog or a friend. Enjoy the mesmerising lights, the humungous Christmas trees and the decorations around your town.
- Catch up: Invite your friends over for some tea, brunch or even a dinner and catch up on all the gossip and happenings in each other’s lives. After all festivals are all about enjoying them with your close friends and family.
- Get Artsy: Remember that DIY pin you’ve saved on Pinterest for over a couple a months. Well, its time get your craft kit out. This Christmas get creative with your gifts and give your friends and family something they may remember. Make the scented candles or the dream catcher. Or even better, paint and fill up that empty wall in your house. If nothing else it would be a great story someday.
- Wardrobe Detox: It’s time to take the plunge. Get rid of all the clothes you don’t wear, don’t fit or are out of style. This is the only way to fit in more new clothes. 😉 Make it a fun day by getting your friends and some champagne and strutting in your house like a model. (Imagine Sex and the City scene with Carrie)
- Get Organised: Have a pile of mail, bills and random papers lurking around in some drawer? Get your work mode on and clean your paperwork or pending tasks at home. Send a thank you note and reply to all those Christmas greetings and check this off your list.
So now that you have detoxed, relaxed and enjoyed your Christmas. Get your boots on to rock the work with a fresh mind. How do you like you unwind and relax? Let me know in the comments below.