Hair growth in unwanted places has been a major concern for most people. In the earlier days people used to use extreme measures like plucking each hair, using a clam and so on. But thanks to modern technology hair removal is no longer so painful. There are several ways to get rid of unwanted hair like waxing, bleaching, shaving and so one. But these methods do not provide a solution for permanent hair removal or reduction. That’s where laser is a boon. Laser hair removal is a treatment which promises permanent hair reduction or removal and is less painful than any other hair removal method.
How does it work?
The hair growth has three phases, the anagen phase, catagen phase and the telogen phase. The laser hair removal works laser hair removal works by targeting the hair follicle in the anagen phase.
The laser light targets the melanin in your body and disables follicle. The laser hair machine aims a beam of light at the hair follicle. Melanin in the skin absorbs the light and disables the hair follicle. The laser hair treatment can be used anywhere on your body like the face, leg, arm and so on.
Types of Lasers used for Hair Removal
Intense Pulsed Light/ BBL Laser: it is suitable to treat the fine hair.
YAG Laser: It is suitable for people with dark skin or tanned skin.
Ruby Laser: It is suitable for people with light to medium toned skin.
Preparing for Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a treatment which requires a skilled specialist and has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Before choosing a salon or doctor for the treatment make sure to check the credentials for the same
- If you are using an at home IPL machine make sure you do a patch test and ask your doctor if you can use the machine if you are on medication.
- Let your hair grow for at least 6 weeks. Try not to pluck, wax or epilate your hair as this will remove the hair root and make laser ineffective.
- Avoid sun exposure during, before and after getting the laser treatment. Make sure you apply SPF before stepping out in the sun.
- Make sure you do a patch test for the laser treatment as well.
- Consult your doctor before opting for laser treatment and avoid taking any photosensitive drugs before the treatment
- Apply aloe vera gel or to the treated area to reduce redness or swelling and heal the skin.
- Avoid scratching the treated area and using cosmetics on it.
- Make sure you protect your eyes as there are chances of eye injuries during laser treatment.
The cost of getting a laser treatment is one of the major factors people consider when opting for the treatment. If you are investing in something you expect to see results. The cost of a laser hair removal in london or anywhere for that matter of fact is based on several factors. But it the cost of getting a treatment for a small area starts from £ 50 and for large areas like the hands, back or legs starts from £150. The cost of the treatment is based on the type of laser you are opting for, the number of sessions required, the salon or doctor credentials and so on.
- No more waxing, shaving, bleaching or anything, as laser hair treatment gets rid of unwanted hair. Since the hair follicles are disabled laser gets rid of hair permanently most of the time.
- Laser Treatment is more long lasting than any other hair removal technique.
- Home IPL machines are user friendly and cheaper to use when compared to going to a salon for laser treatment.
- Laser treatment can be used for getting rid of hair from all parts of the body.
- Laser is less painful when compared to threading, epilating or waxing.
- In case you experience hair re-growth, the growth will be less dense and thick when compared to before getting the treatment.
- If you are getting laser treatment at a solon which has skilled professionals then the treatment is usually accurate, faster, and safer.
- A skilled professional will advice the best treatment based on your skin type. This makes the laser hair removal treatment more effective and there are lower chances of you getting an infection.
- Smooth hair free skin. You don’t have to worry about going to the parlor or using any DIY techniques for hair removal.
- The cost of getting a laser hair removal treatment is usually high. The cost of getting a treatment for a small area starts from £ 50 and for large areas like the hands, back or legs starts from £150. The cost differs from place to place and is based on the type of treatment you are looking for.
- The effectiveness of laser depends on your skin type and hair type. If you have dense hair then there are chances of experiencing some re-growth.
- One of the side effects which can be experience is skin burn as laser removes hair by burning the hair.
- There are also chances of hypopigmentation, which means that there are chances of skin darkening or hyperpigmentation which means that there are chances of lightening of skin.
- Multiple sessions: For a long term effect one has to go for multiple sessions and complete the course of the treatment. The duration of the session is based on the area being covered.
- Laser hair removal treatment is not suitable for all people. It does not work for people with blonde, red or gray hair.
- Laser hair removal treatment is also not effective for people with dark skin.
- Laser hair treatment does not guarantee permanent hair removal and cannot prevent growth of new hair follicles.
- You might experience some stinging, redness or itching.
Here is a video from Pulse Light Clinic, giving you some more details on the Laser Hair Removal.
To get the best results, consult an expert go for a treatment which is most suitable for your skin type.