We cannot live with it and we cannot live without it. Yes, I am talking about lingerie. Though it is an essential, inner wear is single handedly responsible for a lot of confusion and controversy. Everyone has something to say about it although not everyone is right. Over the years, the sheer amount of incorrect information about lingerie that is floating around has surprised me and so, I decided to bust five ridiculously untrue lingerie myths for you!
1. Wear white under garments under white clothes. No, no, no! Throw this line of false advice out of the window because there is not an iota of truth to it. When you are sporting white clothes, wear underwear that is as close to your skin colour as possible, for a seamless and natural look.
2. High quality lingerie is expensive. Again, completely untrue. Whilst it would wishful to think that you can find high quality lingerie at dirt-cheap prices, trust me when I say that a good bra does not have to burn a hole in your wallet. If you look beyond the popular brand names, you can find some great mid-range brands that sell quality products at affordable prices.
3. Wearing a small bra will enhance your cleavage. No chance, ladies! In fact, wearing a wrongly sized brassiere will simply change the shape of your bust in a very unflattering way. Whether it is outerwear or inner wear, size and fit are everything.
4. A good bra will last you a lifetime. The perfect example of wishful thinking. While it would be a dream come true to have your favourite bra last forever, the truth is that most brassieres have a lifetime of nine months to one year. To get the most utility out of your bras, hand wash them gently and rotate them often.
5. Shape wear is uncomfortable and only for large women. Wrong! Contrary to popular belief, good quality shape wear in the right size can be really comfortable. In fact, you will not even know that you are wearing it. Shape wear is for everyone – it simply enhances your silhouette and gives you a confidence boost to be the superstar that you are. Give it a try, sometime!