Contrary to popular belief, an outfit that is both stylish and sophisticated does not always have to burn a hole in your wallet. In fact, there are a bunch of ways to infuse your ensemble with an easy elegance without spending a bomb. I’ve listed out my five favourite ideas for you to try out before the year is over!
01. I’ve said this before and I will say it again: fit is everything. The truth is that a well fitted dress from a thrift store will always look infinitely better than an ill fitted designer dress. If you want to look classy, you must take out the time to find pieces that fit your body well.
02. Without a doubt, my biggest pet peeve is an outfit that is not ironed. Nothing pulls an outfit down from classy to crass like creases, so if you want to add that element of sophistication to your look, ensure that your clothes are ironed to perfection. No excuses.
03. I love playing around with patterns, textures and fabrics, and over the years, I have come to realise that certain fabrics look much classier than others – think linen, silk and cotton. Of course, these require much more maintenance than their synthetic counterparts, but the effort is worth it!
04. I’ve noticed that when it comes to looking elegant, your clothes are not the only deciding factor. Hair makes a huge difference to your look, so never leave the house without ensuring that your tress game is on point. Your hairstyle does not have to be elaborate, as long as it is neat and frizzy fly-away strands are a total no-no.
05. Shoes can make or break your outfit so make sure that your footwear is always clean and not scuffed. Dust your shoes before wearing them and if they are made from a material like patent leather, keep them shiny. If you’re wearing open toe sandals, please, please, PLEASE make sure that your nails are cut and filed at the very least, if not impeccably manicured.
Remember, ladies – the elegance lies in the finer details. Make them count.